The Refresher Course for FPAs, an annual CME/CPD event for family practice anesthetists (FPAs), will be hosted on Friday and Saturday, October 27-28 this year. While Friday’s events will focus on a resuscitation workshop (and dinner), along with an update and information on the FPA Clinical Coaching for Excellence Program, Saturday will be the main day of education, featuring several exciting plenaries and four hands-on workshops.
Plenaries this year will be delivered by:
- Dr Laura Dugan, an ‘airway guru’ who will be delivering an internationally acclaimed cricothyroidotomy workshop with 3D printed models of the airway. Dr. Dugan has been featured twice on the popular EMCrit critical care podcast.
- Dr Steve Petrar, an FPA who will present a discussion and workshop on regional anesthesia techniques for transport.
- Dr Nicola McPherson, who will break new ground by talking about how anesthetists can support on palliative care.
- Dr David Evans will cover a hot topic: “Damage Control Laparotomy.”
- Alex Poole, a Whitehorse practitioner who is an expert in hypothermia treatment.
This annual refresher course brings together participants from BC’s regional and rural communities for accredited education, hands-on skills enhancement, and networking. A wine and cheese reception will close out the event on Saturday evening.
GPA participants wishing to maximize their CME/CPD time in Vancouver are invited to sign up for one of three stand alone, accredited courses being ahead of The Refresher Course for FPAs. PALS and HOUSE: Ultrasound for Shock will be offered on Thursday, October 26, while the St. Paul’s Hospital’s Regional Anesthesia Observership Day – will be offered during the day on Friday, October 27. Take advantage of this opportunity to learn and/or refresh your knowledge base!